Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sacrifice











Welcome back blog followers =) About a week out from my last post, I would have done it earlier this week, but decided to wait for Veterans Day to post my next one.



This one may be a bit longer, as we are going to discuss exercise, past and present, sacrifices, etc..


Philippians 4:13- "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

I love this bible verse, as it can relate to so many things in my life, and others. Lets think about the sacrifices that our military men and women have made for our country. These soldiers have to be some of the most strong minded people in the world to do what they do. To go along with this, this also makes me feel guilty, and you will see why.


I am going to start off by talking about me and exercise. In the past, more specifically age 5-18, exercise and me were like peanut-butter and jelly =)

From a young age, I was allowed by my parents to participate in any activity I wanted. I thank my parents for that grace. I played all three sports in junior high and baseball in high school. Let me explain, I could compete with anyone out on that sports field, as my lungs did not hold me back. I can still remember the high school days of Coach Hall's grass drills in football, and running tires in baseball. Teammates of mine will know exactly what I am talking about. Good times for sure! My point with this is this: I was not limited at all, and did not feel any ill-effects when doing so.

Now lets look at the present. To be quite honest I can barely walk a 1/4 mile without being winded. And it frustrates me to no end. I was so used to just being able to go out and run a mile when I was younger and feel good. Now I feel exhausted. I am not used to being hand-cuffed by my disease. The thing is, now if I was to start a exercise routine, I need to look at baby steps. Baby steps is where I get frustrated, I don't know how to start anymore. I had accountability in high school by my teammates and coaches, and an inner-drive like no other. But today, I just feel tired. My motivation suffers. Quite honestly I am at a loss of words in explaining why its like this now.

I wanna take this full-circle, I mentioned that I felt guilty, because there are these great soldiers that are giving everything we got for our freedom, but even more importantly, is that our Savior gave the ultimate sacrifice for me and all of us. I still thank him for all the blessings in my life, and for me being on this great earth today, but I fail in the aspect of doing exercise that I need to keep what he gave me. If anyone has any ideas on "baby steps" and how to get started and stay with it I would surely listen.

This next week I am going to St. Louis for a "consultation" with the transplant team, for a future operation. I have mixed emotions with this, I am nervous, but also excited. I have met people who are post-transplant, and if they are blessed enough to get through the rough parts, their life in general is "awesome" Now I am not saying I want that now, because I still have a mind-set that I can prolong that operation. That's where I use that special verse, on which my younger brother has tattooed on his body, to get me through the tough days. If I can get over this hill currently, I am going to try and honor His name, and make the sacrifices needed to exercise again.

Once again, this is a bit long and rambling. I thank you for taking a look. God Bless

p.s. I will try to throw an update or two while up in St. Louis.

Until then:

Go CHS and Go Bucks

- Coach P.

5 comments:

  1. Brian, you can do it... I know, you never used to let anything stop you. I know you still have the drive, just not the energy, but at least start taking "baby steps", anything is better than nothing. You will improve slowly, but gradually. I pray everyday for you, & I want you to be healthier, but most of all I want you to be strong, & keep your amazing FAITH. I always told you, there is nothing you can't do once you put your mind to it, & I still believe that. I love you FOREVER... MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks brian for the post...you and your family our in my prayers...i find you words encouraging, thanks!-chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope things are going well in St. Louie, I've been on the edge of my seat waiting to hear from Ashley. I have total confidence that you will leap over every hurdle that comes your way, especially with Ashley by your side, she's your biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, I removed my first post as I realized that I didn't even give my name and yet I was hoping you would remember me...Duh!! This is Shirley Bolander, your old baseball manager from Azusa. I have never forgotten you and you have been on my mind lately. After searching I found your blog. You look and sound great!! Glad to hear that our Lord is taking care of you and your family. It was funny to see that your a "Buckeye" fan as I now live in Columbus, Ohio and am a Buck fan as well! Say hi to mom and dad for me and I hope I hear from you. You can email me at shirbert@insight.rr.com or find me on FB.

    ReplyDelete